Gene's Footnotes

I have never been impressed by the messenger and always inspect the message, which I now understand is not the norm. People prefer to filter out discordant information. As such, I am frequently confronted with, "Where did you hear that...." Well, here you go. If you want an email version, send me an email.

October 25, 2007

Apricots in Poland


A short one today. The photo is that of a farm in Greenland.

First, Global Warming, assuming it exists, has no affect on So Cal fires - LA TIMES quoting Journal of Science study and other input: LINK

Second, Al Gore's lowest grade in college was a D in a natural science course.

Finally, following up on an reference from Irene Wolfson, I did some Googling and Asking about tree lines in the Sudeten (you recall, the place the NAZI's wanted) and found studies about "Oh my God, what will climate change do...." One study had a premise that contained the climate will "probably" get drier and it went on happily from there. The study went all the way back to 1992!

So, why look at treelines?

Treelines are indicators of climate. If it is too cold, trees run down hill. The study I mentioned above was worried about the treeline moving up and then running into drought. All nice and good, if the earth began in 1992. However, let us put things in context - is a quote from David Frum's blog:

...There seems zero doubt that Norway, Iceland, Greenland, and the coast of Labrador were far more congenial places in the year 1300 than they are today. On the way home, I began Norman Davies' two-volume history of Poland, God's Playground. I had visited Poland this summer; the climate reminded me very much of southern Ontario, ie, fall was noticeably commencing in late August. According to Davies, however, Poland's climate used to be much more benign. Oops, sorry, much more dangerously warm.

From p. 43 of Volume 1

Research in the Karkonosze Mountains has shown that the tree-line was no less than 600 feet higher in the fourteenth century than in the twentieth, and that vines, apricots, and melons were grown in valleys where they can no longer be produced.

==================

Since I don't know how to get back to the left margin, I drew a line. This is me, now.

The point of the quote is that the earth was vastly warmer in the 1300's, before the little ice age. Greenland had farming villages. It really was warm - the treeline in the Sudeten was some 600 feet higher!

Then, I guess, humans began to make scotch whiskey and print books, so they caused the cooling of the earth.

The only other option is that we should stop making up facts and timelines that mean nothing. Or, stop designing algorithms that no matter what random numbers you enter will result in a hockey stick graph.

Not long ago, as I mentioned, I listened to a TV scientist, who was making believe he studies the earth by standing on a shore once covered by ice talking to himself. He said in all seriousness the glacier was "unhealthy." It was losing size because of the water running off below it (which run off all glaciers have done forever).

He was referring to a glacier that was not there in the time of Eric the Red. At the point of being redundant, this is getting silly.

Someone please tell me what is "normal" for the earth, not what has changed or what the twenty year trend is. As I covered long ago, we are directly on the median North American temperature, right now, for the last few hundred thousand years.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home