Gene's Footnotes

I have never been impressed by the messenger and always inspect the message, which I now understand is not the norm. People prefer to filter out discordant information. As such, I am frequently confronted with, "Where did you hear that...." Well, here you go. If you want an email version, send me an email.

January 15, 2007

Say, let's just get along


This photo of happy Moslems in London reminds me of a scene from the new film "Obsession," where a pleasant lad was burning the American flag in a Brooklyn street shouting, using a megaphone I think, that free speech was the "loophole" by which America can be destroyed. [Don't look for it at your local Moore Gore theater.]

He's got that right.

The theory is, as a great NY judge once put it, that the "marketplace of ideas" in our system works because when we, the people, hear all sides of arguments we learn critical thinking and take responsibility for our own decisions. Its a good theory, but it relies on honest brokering of information and a school system that encourages critical thinking.

Boy, are we in trouble.

I think it was the same judge who said, as I look back on the photo above: "Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." So is inconsistency.

One more photo to cheer you up:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home