Gene's Footnotes

I have never been impressed by the messenger and always inspect the message, which I now understand is not the norm. People prefer to filter out discordant information. As such, I am frequently confronted with, "Where did you hear that...." Well, here you go. If you want an email version, send me an email.

July 10, 2007

Acetone mpg project

Here is the acetone report on my trip.

I have been working with the notion that the better dispersal of gasoline via acetone will increase mpg, as many of you know. I have been able to afford actually filling my gas tank, so I can start creating some numbers to analyze the concept.

Below, you will find early numbers. The system is to add 2 oz of acetone and 2 oz of Lucas top oil to 10 gallons of gas. The last leg had a variation in that I was able to mix the two then add before fueling up. Before that leg, my additions were sometimes after filling up or a pretty good guess concerning what an ounce looks like. Also, the last leg was just all at 65 miles and hour on the Thruway - only a few miles on 2 lane, 40 mph roads. (I set the governor to about 68.)

Car: 6 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, automatic Ford Explorer Fru Fru model. The car hit the 200,000 mile mark on the trip. It is in good shape, though one tire needs to be replaced as it makes noise - so probably a mileage drag.

On the last leg, a/c was on for half the trip. I add all this because of the high mpg. There was a 50% boost in mpg over the baseline! Of course, there are many variables which many more samples will smooth out. Still, pretty impressive results. (I am still taking the train next time.)

Baseline: 17.3 mpg


1. Baseline - driving two lanes/town: 17.3 [added 3+3 after fill up to start project, checked air]

2. 6.04 gallons = 21.5 mpg [added 1 oz acetone after fill up]

3. 6/30: 303/14 = 21.64 mpg [Rt 29 to Utica area, some town driving, etc)

4. 7/8: 318/13.2 = 22.9 [Filled in Niagara, mostly highway travel - speeding on the QEW where you are a road hazard only driving 70 mph. Of course, Canadians use kilotons per cat litter.

5. 7/8: 260/9.86 = 26.369 (all Thruway at 68 mph) [2 + 2 ounces]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home