Gene's Footnotes

I have never been impressed by the messenger and always inspect the message, which I now understand is not the norm. People prefer to filter out discordant information. As such, I am frequently confronted with, "Where did you hear that...." Well, here you go. If you want an email version, send me an email.

September 18, 2014

Passing Awareness

Every so often, we all take what we are thinking and compare it with prior ideas.

Today, it dawned on me that when I was younger, I would recommend students follow the academic track in high school, rather than one designed for technical preparation for useful employment. This was an OK idea, back then, as I figured an excellent foundation was sufficient to work at any job or, if there is a shift in college, be able to attend to a career in the sciences or math.  Schools, back in the day, especially private ones, were excellent.

Now, I recommend following a serious vocational interest in high school.

As I see it, there are no jobs to BS degrees. I can fix my own poem, thank you. The academic foundation has been replaced with double-talk and a superficial understanding of how to be a drone. Of course, anyone in an "academic" setting is subjected to mindless pap form the NPR types who drift into and up in any career that involves managing other people, rather than producing something.

I also recommend college students who are working to make money to get back to school to forget about that unless they have a focused plan to follow that leads to useful knowledge. There is no point in owing the government $100,000 in student loans and being a barrista.

Old fashioned husbandry is the way to go. Get clean and free of debt (sober) and have a family. Old ideas are OK.

G


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home